Are you interested in being an integral part of a fascinating and rapidly growing
international business? If you have an aptitude for foreign languages and cultures,
and a strong understanding of the global information economy, we want to talk to
you! We're East View Information Services, Inc., the world's premier supplier of
foreign language publications and services of all kinds to library, governmental,
and other institutional customers.
East View is a leading provider of native and translated foreign language information
products and services, including Russian, Chinese, Arabic and Ukrainian databases,
print periodicals, books and microforms. East View serves all geographies and many
market segments, including academic institutions, government organizations, corporations
and public and federal libraries.
Position title: Senior Manager Rights Acquisitions Newspapers and Digital Media
The mission of East View Information Services is to bring “uncommon information from extraordinary places” to academic,
corporate, legal, and government information professionals throughout the world.
East View has recently entered into a landmark partnership with Stanford University to digitize over 25 million pages
of newspapers, with a wide range of global coverage. See our press release.
The role of the Senior Manager Rights Acquisitions will work with publishers internationally to attain permission for the commercial distribution
of their digitized newspaper archives.
The Senior Manager Rights Acquisitions position is full-time and will be based in our Minneapolis headquarters, with principal responsibility for
managing internal and external staff in establishing and managing contractual relations with newspaper publishers for a major digitization program.
The position will oversee all aspects of our relations with newspaper publishers and assures a comprehensive understanding of current and evolving
business needs in support of East View business development and product management. The Manager is a liaison between East View departmental chiefs,
internal and external relations managers, product managers/business developers, and other responsible persons among our publisher/content provider
partners. He/she will establish and maintain good-natured, long term relationships with publishers and content providers.
Reports to: Director, Newspaper Products
- Manage internal and external staff in acquiring rights from publishers for newspaper digitization
- Establish and maintain contractual relationships with newspaper publishers and content providers of information in all formats (digital, print, microform, etc.)
- Negotiate (for CEO signing) contracts with publishers and content providers
- Proactively review existing and legacy contracts with publishers and content providers to improve terms to East View and to identify new business opportunities
- Understand newspaper publishers’ relevant business needs and share with respective East View managers and staff
- Establish, maintain, and keep current critical publisher contact information and metadata in appropriate East View database
- Keep original and scanned copies of contracts in order
Project and product development
- Continually research and offer new content for product development consideration
- Actively seek out new titles for publication and/or new publishing partnerships
- Dedicated support of East View newspaper initiatives affecting publishers/content providers globally
- Enter all necessary information from signed contracts into internal tracking systems
- Initiate new features and changes in tracking systems to Publisher Relations, contracts and royalties
- Conduct annual performance reviews for all full-time East View staff
- Hire and train new staff, as necessary
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications, Knowledge, and Experience
- Minimum 5-Years’ experience negotiating distribution rights with publishers for aggregated library databases
- Experience negotiating agreements with publishers globally, writing and executing publishing contracts
- Expertise with the workflow and methods of royalty calculations
- Minimum 3 years of management or supervisory experience, preferably in scholarly publishing, of both internal and external staff
- Exceptional writing and editing skills. Experience writing and editing publisher agreements and contracts highly desirable
- B.A. in related field, M.A. preferred
- Native-level proficiency in English; high-level proficiency desired in at least one other language (particularly Chinese, Japanese, Arabic,
French or Russian)
- Strong project management experience that demonstrates a high level of accuracy and attention to detail. Demonstrated ability to coordinate
multiple projects simultaneously. Experience developing project budgets and staying within budgeted costs
- Must be self-motivated, creative, comfortable with taking initiative and able to work against tight deadlines with minimal supervision. Must
be able to motivate, influence and direct the work of internal and external staff
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with senior management,
clients, and publishers
- Willingness and ability to travel on behalf of East View worldwide, including Latin America, Africa, Middle East and Far East
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive base salary
- Excellent benefits package including full medical/dental/LTD coverage/matching 401K
- Holidays and paid time off based on tenure
Please submit cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.